Thursday, February 2, 2012

I Grew Up!

It happened that on my 30th year of life I suddenly became an i-Guy. And last Sunday during next sync with iTunes I asked myself "How did it happen?"

All that time (ahaha, not really because I got my first PC when I was 6) I considered myself as an advanced PC user. Not geek, not a programmer. But things listed below were easy for me:
- assemblage of PC (incl. BIOS setup and some hardware adjustments);
- installation of MS DOS and Windows (all versions except Millennium and servers);
- installation of lots of desktop software of different kinds and lots of external devices with all those drivers and ports;
- network setup and administration (10 PCs in 1 net with router, DHCP, server and other network stuff);
- mobile devices usage (Windows Mobile, Symbian and so on).
Overall I used to be co-owner of small internet café, so I was advanced)

But it’s all gone! And now I have 3 Apple devices (Macbook Pro, iPhone, iPad) and I even don’t know what is inside them. What processor or how cool is video card? I do not know and if I knew it in the first day I completely forgot it.

Unikum, Gadgets, IBM PC, Mac OS, Computer History, Nostalgia

Now I will try to define the roots of my magic transition (promise to be objective about Apple):
  • Life becomes too complicated. A lot of information and a lot of actions to do. There is no more room for PC geek in my life; all free space is filled with family and work. I try to save time, simplify my life and Apple does it perfectly. Everything is easy and simple for me. You can just press 3 buttons on your phone to invert it into wireless internet router. Really 3 buttons!!!

  • No professional need. Everybody uses computers in their work, but there are only few that engage computers as their profession tool, not just for texts, email, and spreadsheets. As I heard (can’t be sure) that it’s sometimes impossible or to expensive to make appropriate Mac OS work solutions in spheres of video editing, programming, music making, networking and so on. As I understand there are 2 reasons: 1) Lack of professional software. 2) Strict limitations for self-configuration of hardware. I am an office clerk so I do not need to worry about above things.
    PS for that bullet: we all know about MS emulation on Mac but this article is not about this kind of stuff. It is about my personal motivation.

  • I do not steel software (anymore... joke). PC soft is a pirate’s paradise...

  • Hedonism. It is a pleasure to touch, to click, to slide, to watch, to hold and to carry. Don’t know why but it is important for me right now...

Overall all my words could be shortened to one phrase: I grew up!

Unikum, Gadgets, IBM PC, Mac OS, Computer History, Nostalgia

SEE ALSO:

Unikum, Gifts, Fun, Life Style

Some Thoughts About Computer History
Unikum, Computer History, MS DOS, IBM PC, Retro Games, Nostalgia

Unikum, Gifts, Gadgets, IBM PC, Mac OS, Computer History, Nostalgia

No comments:

Post a Comment